Rio Tinto to invest additional $302m in Arizona copper mine project

By Nikita Chaurasia  Date: 2019-04-16

Rio Tinto to invest additional $302m in Arizona copper mine project

Green energy innovations such as the electric vehicle, transmission technologies and battery storage are highly copper intensive

Rio Tinto is reportedly planning to invest another $302 million for advancing its Resolution copper project, located in the state of Arizona, U.S.

Sources with knowledge on the matter stated that this move forms part of the company’s efforts to increase its access to the metal, which is being used in major applications ranging from electric cars to batteries. The added investment would bring the total financing by Rio Tinto in the project, 55% of which is owned by Rio and the remaining 45% by partner BHP, to more than $2 billion since 2004.

Supposedly, the new funds would be directed towards financing ore-body studies, additional drilling, improvements to the infrastructure and allowing activities required to advance this project to the final stage of the permitting phase.

Green energy innovations such as the electric vehicle, transmission technologies and battery storage are highly copper intensive and Rio Tinto aims to be ready for meeting any future demand, sources remarked.

When in production, the Resolution project is expected to supply nearly 25% of the copper demand in the U.S. for 40 years. The company claims it is seeking ways to start Resolution operations one or two years earlier, by pursuing engineering changes. Development of the project seems to be more complicated, since it is located on U.S. federal land.

Sources informed that a draft environmental study on the project is anticipated to be posted by the U.S. Forest Service in the coming summer, following which American Indian groups as well as other communities would be able to provide feedback.

Rio Tinto is looking to advance many other of its copper projects as well, including the Berenguela in south-eastern Peru and the Winu project with Antipa Minerals in Western Australia. The world’s second largest miner has further applied for exploration permits in the northern part of Chile, the leading copper producing country.

About Author

Nikita Chaurasia     aeresearch.net

Nikita Chaurasia

An accomplished professional in the field of content development, playing with words comes naturally to Nikita Chaurasia. After completing her post-graduate MBA degree in Advertising and PR, Nikita worked across numerous content-driven verticals, undertaking diverse r...

Read More

More News By Nikita Chaurasia

France might ban short domestic flights to reduce its carbon footprint

France might ban short domestic flights to reduce its carbon footprint

By Nikita Chaurasia

French lawmakers recently came to a unanimous decision to ban domestic flights for distances that can be covered by train in over two-and-a-half- hours. The country aims to impose these restrictions in an effort to reduce carbon emissions, even as th...

Kavak secures USD 485 million in funding, eyes Latin America expansion

Kavak secures USD 485 million in funding, eyes Latin America expansion

By Nikita Chaurasia

Kavak, a Mexico-based used-car platform, has reportedly reached a valuation of USD 4 billion after securing USD 485 million during a new funding round. This makes it the fastest-growing as well as the most valued company in Latin America. The latest...

Zydus seeks DCGI approval for PegIFN drug to treat COVID-19 patients

Zydus seeks DCGI approval for PegIFN drug to treat COVID-19 patients

By Nikita Chaurasia

Indian pharmaceutical company Zydus Cadila is reportedly seeking approval from DCGI (Drug Controller General of India) for its PegIFN (Pegylated Interferon Alpha-2b), a hepatitis C drug, to treat COVID-19 patients, after its third phase of clinical t...

LinkedIn confirms launch of a social audio platform to rival Clubhouse

LinkedIn confirms launch of a social audio platform to rival Clubhouse

By Nikita Chaurasia

LinkedIn, the popular employment-oriented online service, has confirmed that it is testing a social audio experience in its app which could offer users with better connectivity in their networks. Although several social media giants such as Twitter ...

Pfizer begins Phase-1 trials of oral COVID-19 antiviral drug in U.S.

Pfizer begins Phase-1 trials of oral COVID-19 antiviral drug in U.S.

By Nikita Chaurasia

Pfizer Inc., an American multinational pharmaceutical corporation, has recently announced to have started the early phase trials for its oral antiviral drug for Coronavirus. The company revealed that first phase trials of the experimental drug, PF-07...